Thursday, July 8, 2010

Telepathic blogging for moms on the run!



Has anyone been getting my telepathic blog entries over the past few weeks? Race updates, life updates, dog updates-I've been sending them out during my swims, bikes, and runs. If you aren't getting them-I've been busy, very very busy! One week in May amongst the craziness of being Ruby's mom, teaching, and training I made some huge decisions-I got my Pro license for triathlon, put an offer in on a motel, and started seeing my ex-husband. Big stuff! Huge stuff!

After performing well at Duathlon Nationals I decided it was ok to try and race pro this season and it would allow me a little bit more flexibility in planning my season, the only thing I forgot is that any 70.3 race I get into I would be swimming alone and then have to cycle for my life before I could put my running shoes on! The race round up will follow soon:)

So I bought a small motel with 5 cute little cabins circa 1955 and a cute little brick house circa 1978. My house in Saranac Lake was on the market again and I had started looking at houses in Tupper Lake when Faust Motel popped up and I snagged it! I know the whole thing seems very random, but for 5 years I've been driving by another motel with cabins, that has been for sale, saying, "that's where I'm going to host my running and triathlon camps." I never bought that one because it was twice as much as Faust and half as charming. We took over June 12th and have been having a great time meeting people, cleaning rooms, and moving out of the nightmare on Elm St so tenants could move in. The cabins each have 2 very basic, very clean rooms and if it weren't for the TV's one would think they are walking into a 1955 motel room in perfect condition.

When we started Ruby, my assistant manager, was going to be the window washing girl, but quickly realized she likes scrubbing toilets a lot better-she will leave here with a serious set of skills! She has had so much fun making friends with everyone who comes through. I think she especially likes making friends our European customers and showing off her sweet trampolining skills!

We have this maintenance man/on-site bike mechanic that's been hanging around helping us out too. I call him Kevin 2.0 and he's the new and improved version of the man I married in 2002. He is almost as good as Ruby at making friends with our guests as he talks bikes (motor and bi), shows off his new 1986 Chevy pickup, and grills like a madman! He's gotten a chance to do it all here at Faust as Ruby and I have had some busy weekends racing out of town. Kevin 2.0 is proof that if you persevere you can become exactly who you want to be. He just had a marathon couple of weeks finishing the Elm St house, but it's done and tenants are in and now he can sleep for a week or two! After 3 years of being separated it's amazing how much better we have become at communicating and being friends.

Huge Things!

4 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy! Good luck with the new place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I want to sign up for your first triathlon camp. For reals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy
    Searching around on the motel and you while writing code when I found this. Add the motel's name and a good link to this blog like Faust Motel and Cabins in Tupper Lake and that should really boost your site since Google owns Blogger.
    You can also check my blog http"//www.adirondackwander.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! that's great and sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Good luck to the members of the trialthon.
    More power! ~ marmot ski ~

    ReplyDelete