Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Road To...

I haven't had a real desire to do an Ironman until this year. That's 11 long years away from the long and painful and sometimes bloody event. The heat of 70.3 Worlds in Vegas made me really really miss Kona. High 80s would seem cool compared to 100+, right? After a crash and ok finish my first year and a dnf my second year in Kona I've always had this unfinished business feeling about the race. Now I feel like it's finally time to go back and really see what I've got. Embrace the ocean, the wind, and the heat and see what I can really do at the Ironman distance. While the half Ironman distance is a nice manageable distance to train for, I'm ready to take the plunge and really get back at it! In 2 weeks I will be racing one of my all time favorite races, Blackwater Eagleman in Cambridge, MD to try and qualify for Kona. This flat, fast, hot race has always appealed to me and its actually where I qualified for Kona in 2002 (the year of the dreadful dnf). Coachulio rose to the the challenge and has prepared me better than I think I've ever been for a race. This winter as I was doing my long runs from Whiteface, while my family was enjoying freshies, I realized I may have found the kind of balance I've been striving for and I could probably make this happen! I hope these weeks fly and I can do Coachulio's incredible plan justice!

No comments:

Post a Comment