Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bluebird Day


Last Saturday morning I awoke to subzero temps and prepped for my run. When I started the run it was -6, I had 2 dogs, and about a million layers on (including my Darth Veder face mask). In the first 4 mile loop Quenton and I warmed up while Bandit found herself completely exhausted and happy to be left in the sun on the front porch. I stripped a layer of pants, the mask and a jacket before Q and I took off down the railroad tracks which the local snowmobilers had so kindly packed down and stayed off of on this bright sunshiny morning. By the end of the run it was a solid 10 degrees so I lost one more layer and was able to thoroughly exhaust the old man-a great beginning to a great day.
The big adventure of the day was a family ski day at Big Tupper. As I drove to Tupper Lake to meet up with Ruby and Kevin the temps crept all the way up to 20! By the time we got up to Big T we were blessed with the most perfect bluebird day for Ruby to "rip the gnar," which is exactly what she did following her dad at warp speed and off jumps. It was our first day at Big T and the minute we got on the chair lift and turned around to see the beathtaking view I couldn't believe that this place could have possibly been closed for 10 years! Wow! By the end of first run the 3 of us couldn't stop raving about how amazing this great mountain was-the grooming and terrain were perfect for natural snow and an almost totally volunteer staff. It's amazing what the ARISE group of volunteers has done to get this mountain going again and the locals love it! Everybody we ran into was so positive and appreciative-kids and adults grinning like fools-awesome. Ruby even broke out her snowboard to practice on the Mighty Mite before deciding it was time to get back to the top and race her parents on the rest of the trails until the sun went down:)

No comments:

Post a Comment