Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Healing Power of a Morning Run

Since Kevin left for Colorado a week ago my dogs and I have had to go without our morning runs. Even though Q is almost 11 and Bandit is 8 they still need to get out a couple of mornings a week to make it to the weekends long run and ski-I love the image of their perked up ears, like they're smiling. Ruby and I had a sleepover with one of my BFFL's, Alison, last night so the dogs and I were able to get out and enjoy the darkness this morning! These morning runs have been an important part of my sanity control over the last 16 years. When I started doing morning runs at 15 or 16 life was about finding every way possible to bring my running to the next level and finding my niche. At 16 life seems completely out of your control and these runs, often with a beloved friend willing to stay awake after a night shift at a local factory to accompany me, were quiet time from typical teen craziness. 16 years later they are still serving the same purpose! As I ran this morning I thought about different stages in my life and athletic career and how these runs have brought me much needed perspective to get through the hard stuff. Almost like I have a chance to look at a situation through someone else's eyes. For me morning runs are full of extracting positives and developing a plan of attack, unlike runs at other times of the day there's no room for negative thoughts or feelings in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment